Selfie - Smart Real Time Account Opening and Mobile Passbook
Fedbook isn't the first mobile app to simulate the utility of a traditional bank passbook, but it is the only one supported by Federal Bank. Federal Bank is one of the largest banks in India, and this app makes it easy for you to handle all of your financial business without ever having to visit a branch in person. Its simple interface makes getting started a breeze, and you'll find a wealth of options available within the app itself. Fedbook handles everything from creating a new bank account to tracking your transactions, and its rich set of features makes it one of the most comprehensive and through banking apps in the world. That said, users outside of India probably won't be able to find much use for it.
Not many bank services allow you to open an account directly through an app, but Federal Bank has done a remarkable job of not just implementing that into their software but also of making the process itself quick and simple. With the Fedbook selfie system, all you have to do is take a picture using your camera's phone, upload it, and provide some relevant information so that the app can confirm your identity. The app will create a banking account for you without even having to get in touch with a customer service member directly. If you already have a Federal Bank account, linking up your information to the Fedbook app is even easier.
Once you have your information linked up to Fedbook, there are a lot of utilities packed in to make your life easier. Many of these - like the ability to read digital statements for all of your accounts and receive an itemized list of all of your transactions - are pretty typical for the industry. Others are either exclusive to Fedbook or less common for these types of apps in general. There's the option to search and filter your transactions which is made even easier by the option to tag your transactions with personalized notes. It's a great record keeping tool that works incredibly well in practice, but it does require a little more clerical effort on the part of the user. You can also track any checks that have been issued through your account, so you can find out about potentially fraudulent activity immediately. Users can also track the terms of their deposits and loans with just a single tap of their finger.
While the automatic updates that Fedbook uses to keep you on the same page about your account require an internet connection to work, Fedbook's core functionalities aren't contingent on internet access. You can check your account information and terms even if you aren't able to connect to WiFi.
- Offers an incredibly simple option for opening a new Federal Bank account
- Updates your banking information in real time
- Allows access to your account even when you don't have an active internet connection
- Only works for Federal Bank customers
Missed call based activation
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- SEND_SMS: Allows an application to send SMS messages.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.